Girls Golf wins CIF

Haley Lomas, Editor-in-Chief

On Monday, November 2, La Serna’s girls golf team won their first CIF championship with a score of 391.

“It was [a really] close win,” said Coach Marty Galvan about the victory. “It was a card-off. In other words, two teams had the same score, so they count the score of the sixth player. Our sixth player shot 90, and their sixth player shot 95, so we won.”

The girls were ecstatic about the CIF win. “The team was beyond thrilled, we were so happy to be able to accomplish such a big win,” said team captain, junior Taylor Ornelas.

Galvan was not surprised this year’s team won. “I thought we had a really good chance of winning because of the girls we had coming in,” he said.

Lancer pride was also apparent at the school. The team was congratulated during the morning announcements, as well as displayed on the board in front of La Serna. “The school was so supportive of our win,” Ornelas said.

However, despite the excitement, the team is continuing forward. “The team has not celebrated because we are all so concentrated on the next stage of CIF,” Ornelas said. The team continues to practice and train in preparation.

Though this is the first CIF victory for the team, girls golf also got their first league win in 2014.

This winning 2015 team consisted of Vanessa Wang, Stephanie Wong, Michelle Wong, Briana Chacon, Sandra Meza, Kiana Williams, Caroline Lee, Sharon Stathis, and Taylor Ornelas.

Girls Golf wins CIF