The key to high school? Find your niche

Seniors Say Sayonara

Ashley Lord, Features Editor

This column is the first in a series of farewells from The Freelancer’s senior staff members.

The past four years were some of the best I’ve ever had. I met so many new people because there were so many more students. I have never had the most school spirit. I didn’t join any clubs and I never went to a football game. I didn’t go to any dances and only decided to go to my senior prom because everyone I know wanted me to go.

I think one of the best decisions I ever made was joining The Freelancer. It was my junior year and I was sitting in Mrs. DeSimone’s 4th period English class when she made a quick announcement. She showed us a flier advertising to join the school newspaper. I was never interested in clubs or school activities but I saw the flier was for an informational meeting only. I made a spur of the moment decision to attend the meeting.

One of my friends went with me to the meeting and we listened to what being part of the staff would entail. That’s when I decided to sign up. When the first meetings started, we did not publish anything but I went everyday for months. Along the way, I made friends and spoke to people I never would have spoken to before. When we started publishing, I had to approach strangers to find information and quotes for stories. I am really shy so it took a lot of courage to approach people I didn’t know.

Now I can say that I am still uncomfortable speaking to people I don’t know, but I have gained some confidence with public speaking. I had never planned to join the school newspaper but I am so glad I did. A small and sudden decision has been one of the best I have ever made. It gave me new friends, new confidence, and a new life experience.

High school is filled with stress from tests, homework, and other responsibilities but the best advice I can give is to find something fun to do to let go of the stress. And if there is no time to fit fun in, then make some time. It will make the rest of high school much smoother and a better experience altogether. Start early because in the blink of an eye, Freshmen First Day is over and you are getting ready to walk across the stage in your graduation gown.

The key to high school? Find your niche