Will the food on campus change because of Trump?

Bella Gil, News Editor

This is the seventh article in a series in which The Freelancer will explore the policies of newly-elected-president Donald Trump and potential impact on La Serna High School students and culture.

With the recent election of President Donald Trump, laws and acts enforced or brought about by Barack Obama are being repealed. Donald Trump is bringing forth his own laws and acts.

Michelle Obama, as the previous First Lady of the United States, had passed the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act in 2010. Under this act, the former Michelle Obama’s goal was for all school children to receive healthy and nutritious food at a low cost or no cost at all.

Because of this Act, schools across the country had changed their menus. Sugar-free, whole wheat, and organic is typically what is now sold at schools nationwide.

It is known that President Donald Trump is a fan of fast food and non-nutritious food. However, it is very unlikely that he will change the rules and regulations that have been enacted for around seven years. Trump’s wife, Melania Trump, has previously stated that she will be focusing on attacking the topic of bullying as a First Lady.

If Trump does change Michelle Obama’s Act, a student’s life on campus will change in a significant way. Under the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act, sugary foods are allowed to be sold on campus, but only by clubs or for fundraising during after-school hours. If this would be repealed, a numerous amount of clubs on campus would be affected. Food Day, a lunchtime fundraising event that some upperclassmen may remember, might return to campus.

One club affected on campus would be She’s the First. She’s the First is a non-profit organization that centers on sending girls to school in lower-developed countries. In order to do this, She’s the First  sells cupcakes to raise funds to send these young women to school. With the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act, She’s the First could not sell during school hours.

When Sydney Solano, club president of She’s the First, was asked if the act was repealed how it would affect the club, she stated, “I don’t want to say anything negative about Michelle Obama, but it would benefit us if it was no longer evident, because it is crucial that we [She’s the First] sell food on campus during school hours. If we try to sell after school, we don’t get the same turn out as we would as selling to 3,000 students during school hours. The amount of profits that we would make during school would definitely change and increase which would make a significant change in the money that we send to She’s the First that sends young women to school. We would probably be able to sponser more scholars if we were able to sell food on campus.”

She’s the First is not the only club on campus affected by the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act. Other clubs at La Serna, such as Kids for Wish, would benefit from raising money during school hours in order to send money to those who are in need. The Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act, although beneficial to student’s nutrition and health, definitely disrupts the success of clubs and organizations. Will Trump keep this act, or repeal it along with others Obama has previously instated?