Religious topics at forefront of Trump’s presidency

Perspectives on the President: Religion

Amelia Esparza, Staff Writer

This is the sixth article in a series in which The Freelancer will explore the policies of newly-elected-president Donald Trump and potential impact on La Serna High School students and culture.

President Donald Trump has already created some drastic changes during his first month in office. One of the changes that he has made was on abortion. He has reinstated the Mexico City Policy which states, “[abortion providers] will not ‘perform or actively promote abortion as a method of family planning,'” according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. Abortion is a topic that Trump promised his voters he would address when he came into presidency. Some believe Trump’s views on abortion helped him attract Christian voters. Upon hearing what Donald Trump plans to do, the Dutch government has moved on to setting up an international abortion fund. CNN released an article about this on January 26, 2017, stating that the Dutch believe that by reinstating the Mexico City Policy, more unsafe and risky abortions will take place.

In a CNN article posted on December 8, 2015, Trump suggested stopping all Muslims from entering the country and to put surveillance on mosques. The article stated, “he was open to establish a database for all Muslims living in the U.S.” Now in his presidency, Trump’s newest policy is the stopping of Muslims and refugees from entering the United States from countries with large Muslim populations. Countries included in this ban are Iran, Libya, Syria, Sudan, Somalia, and Yemen. Now that Trump is President, he is using his power to stop Muslims from entering the United States. He stated, “This is not about religion. This is about terror and keeping our country safe.” This statement, from CNN, also states that his policy is similar to Obama’s in 2011 which dealt with Iraqi refugees. Obama’s policy on Iraqi refugees lasted for six months.

La Serna has a diverse student population from many different backgrounds. In regards to Trump’s decisions regarding abortion, junior April Tamayo stated, “I am pro life, so I know that one member of my family was with Trump just because of that.” Tamayo and her family are devout Catholics. Junior Keith Gari, who is agnostic said, “Church and state are supposed to be separate.” On the topic of the Muslim ban, junior Karissa Tarin said, “I think that (Muslim surveillance) is against our privacy in this country. This country is founded on freedom and why would he take away that freedom of Americans that were born and raised here?”