Gender-segregated bathrooms invite unnecessary hostility

Aidynn Salazar, Staff Writer

Update. A term that this school, this city, this country is used to. We as a culture want to upgrade everything: phones, laptops, closets, and even social issues. We’ve come a long way. We’ve built better things. We’ve fixed countless problems and discovered major breakthroughs. We’ve made this world a better place.

For most of us, that is.

Whether a bathroom to you is a relief, a burden, an excuse, or all of the above, it is one thing for sure: a necessity. It’s not a place for hostility, judging, nor degrading.

Imagine facing any of the latter when you have to use the bathroom. For transgender individuals, going to the bathroom is not easy. Daily, transgender students deal with remarks, dirty looks, and sometimes violence. Gender neutral bathrooms are becoming more and more prevalent in public spaces today. As more people are becoming aware of the issues gender-segregated bathrooms bring about, more gender neutral bathrooms are being built. They provide an alternate solution for gender-nonconforming and transgender individuals. Even I, an average teenage girl, have received dirty looks when I walk out of a men’s restroom. I don’t use it because I am transgender, but simply because there’s a line to Japan waiting outside the girls’ bathroom. It’s ridiculous. Is there really such thing as the “wrong bathroom” other than the labeling on the door? No. We’re just used to these mythical boundaries that can be dated back to the Victorian era.

Maybe La Serna just needs an upgrade.