La Serna mourns the loss of a music legend

Haley Lomas, The Freelancer

Though David Bowie may be gone, his legacy will live on for many La Serna students and staff members. Senior Raeann Iler reminisces with some Bowie memorabilia.

Haley Lomas, Editor-in-Chief

The loss of a beloved entertainer can be a heartbreaking tragedy, especially one that influenced and inspired so many people. Recently, the world experienced one such passing.

On January 10, 2016, David Bowie passed away after an 18-month battle with cancer. As a beloved musician, whose career spanned more than four decades, his death was mourned by many La Serna students.

“I was surprised,” junior Alex Miguel said about the loss. “It hurt a lot. [His death] was so soon after his birthday that is was really shocking.”

For many, Bowie’s death affected them personally.

“I feel like I’m losing a part of my family,” senior Raeann Iler said.

The loss was shocking for those who had grown up listening to and watching Bowie.

For La Serna art teacher Michelle Patino, Bowie had been a big presence in her life. “I remember watching the movie Labyrinth as a kid with my parents and feeling very special. His music was a part of my self discovery growing up,” Patino said. Along with being a presence growing up, Bowie was included in some of Patino’s important memories. “His song ‘Golden Years’ played during my wedding video montage,” Patino said. “He had a very big impact on my life; I looked up to David.”

Despite the loss, Bowie’s legacy will continue to live on through his music as more and more people discover and learn about the music legend.

“I wanted to learn more about him,” senior Miranda Leibig said about her reaction to hearing about his death. “His impact on music, pop culture, his affect on the LGBT movement; I wanted to know more about him as a whole.”

“It really is sad to think that he is gone,” Iler said, “but he will always be our starman.”

For those who want to listen to Bowie’s contribution to music, here are some song titles:

Popular:

• Space Oddity
  • Changes
  • Rebel Rebel
  • Young Americans
  • Heroes
  • Golden Years
  • Life on Mars?
  • Ashes to Ashes

Lesser-known:

• Lady Stardust
  • Without You
  • Andy Warhol
  • As the World Falls Down (from the Labyrinth soundtrack)