Is La Serna a rich, white-kid school?

Dylan Martinez, News Editor

In 1961, La Serna High School was founded in Whittier, California. It was the fifth and newest school in the Whittier area, following Whittier, California, Santa Fe, and Pioneer High School. Two years later, Martin Luther King, Jr. led one of the largest and most influential rallies in American history with his March on Washington, D.C. as a pinnacle in the broader Civil Rights moment. La Serna was never a segregated school, and Southern California is not comparable to the American South on the topic of racial strife, but issues on the front of class conflict and ethnic division persist regardless.

One of the most unrelenting stereotypes among Whittierites is the belief that La Serna is a wealthy, predominantly white school.

This is thought despite the fact that La Serna during the 2014-15 school year was 76.5% Hispanic/Latino and only 17.9% white according an annual district report called SARC (School Accountability Report Card).

By comparison, California High School was composed of 89.4% Hispanic/Latino and 7.4% white. Interestingly enough, the same report found that 79.2% of Cal High’s students were socioeconomically disadvantaged, compared to 46.7% at La Serna. In fact, La Serna has significantly less kids socioeconomically disadvantaged than any other school in the district, all others rank in above 75%.

“[People who go to LS] should carry more of a chip on their shoulder. They’re more arrogant and try to use the fact that they go to LS like they’re better,” said Michael Arredondo, a junior at Whittier High School.

Is there validity to “Everyone at La Serna is rich and white”? Some think so, others not. According to the school’s own statistical analysis, La Serna is predominantly Hispanic/Latino. As for its wealth, it should not be ignored that there is a 32.1% gap between La Serna and the next closest school (Santa Fe) in socioeconomically disadvantaged kids.