La Serna welcomes new teachers

Bella Gil, The Freelancer

This year is Andrew Canales' first year teaching professionally. He was a student teacher at La Serna last year.

Bella Gil, News Editor

Every new school year, new teachers come to La Serna bringing fresh ideas and new opportunities to campus. From biology to US history, the Freelancer is proud to introduce and welcome just a few of this year’s new teachers.

Michael White:

Michael, or “Mic” White, teaches AP and CP biology. This is his 12th year teaching and he has taught in Minnesota, Colorado, and Los Angeles. He has taught everything from biology to astronomy, chemistry, and even physics. White’s favorite thing about teaching, he said jokingly, is June, July, and August. He says, on a more serious note, “Watching kids grow and get better and the fact that I can help them grow and be better people.” White believes that La Serna is tight-knit and family-oriented. White went to high school in Moreno Valley and has been to “nine different universities all over the place.” He is a huge Star Wars fan and loves participating in school events and dress up days.

Kristin Palomares:

Kristin Palomares has taught for 11 years at El Rancho High School in Pico Riviera and taught everything from AP European History to AP Art History. Growing up in Kansas and New Mexico, she came to California when she got a scholarship to Whittier College and then went to Claremont College after graduating from Whittier. Her favorite thing about teaching is the “craziness that students bring” and seeing how much students grow over time. Today at La Serna, Palomares teaches 10th grade World Civ and Government to seniors and her favorite thing about La Serna is the school spirit. Her favorite events to teach include battles when teaching about wars. She has students reenact these battles by throwing paper and dividing the class.

Troy McNabb:

Troy McNabb previously taught at Willowbrook Middle School and Sonora High School, as well as a other schools all over the ABC Unified District. McNabb loves helping students out. He says, “There is a joy in seeing students progress academically and as people.” He is a strong family man and loves to play basketball, play video games, and listen to music. He believes La Serna has a family environment and that the students and community are very respectful and independent. One of his favorite things about La Serna is how there is a lot of collaboration. He went to Gahr High School and Cal State Fullerton. At La Serna, McNabb teaches US History and Government & Economics.

Andrew Canales:

Andrew Canales is new to the teaching profession. His first teaching job is this year at La Serna and previously was a substitute teacher in the Whittier Union High School District for two years. He is a “local product” and went to St. Paul High School and Cal Poly Pomona. Canales says it was so easy to fall in love with La Serna. He loves how everyone involved on campus has a certain mindset that is all geared towards bettering the students. His favorite thing about teaching is getting to know the students. Canales says, “No two students are the same. They all come from different families, different backgrounds, and it’s really a unique experience getting to know them as people.” He goes to Comic Con every year and has a passion for music, especially the Black Keys, who he says performed the best concert he has ever been to.