Why must the Second Amendment be repealed?

http://video.rollingstone.com/previews/eCdwzb0U-necgKPaX

Kevin Vazquez, Sports Editor

The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is dangerous and outdated. It must be repealed.

On December 15, 1791, the United States of America ratified the first ten amendments to the Constitution, also known as the Bill of Rights. The Second Amendment- the right to bear arms- was written by James Madison and the Founding Fathers with the purpose of giving citizens the opportunity to fight back against a tyrannical government. However, the Second Amendment is currently being used as an opportunity for malicious people to hurt many others.

The Second Amendment is responsible for the devastating mass shootings that have occurred in this nation. For example, the Orlando nightclub shooting on June 12, 2016 was the deadliest mass shooting in United States history, with an official death toll of fifty individuals, including the shooter. That one shooter, Omar Mateen, was responsible for the death of forty-nine innocent people! He was successful in killing and injuring many people because he legally bought and used an AR-15 assault rifle. A mass shooting of this scale could have been prevented if U.S. citizens were not allowed to legally buy weapons.

Also, the Second Amendment is outdated with the dangerous advancement of weaponry. The weapons of 1791  were definitely not as powerful and advanced as the weapons used by U.S. civilians in the twenty-first century. Today in the United States, civilians can legally buy dangerous weapons such as the AR-15 assault rifle that Mateen used. Sam Andrews, owner of Tier One Management Systems in Florida, stated in an interview with The New York Times that the weapon can shoot with unrivaled speed and accuracy. In contrast, during the eighteenth century, there were no assault rifles or any guns that could shoot more than three hundred bullets and reload in less than a minute. A popular weapon during that time was the musket, which can only shoot one bullet at a time and reloads for about 20 seconds. Additionally, muskets have a huge misfire rate, making difficult to accurately hit a target.

James Madison and the Founding Fathers wrote the first ten amendments in the Constitution to protect the civil rights of each U.S. citizen, but they had no idea of the damage that the Second Amendment would cause to this nation. They had no intention to hurt others. They did not have to worry of mass shootings  because of the lack of technology in weaponry during the eighteenth century. However, they would have been fearful of the weapons citizens can obtain now and the dangerous destruction that they can cause. It is clear that Second Amendment is outdated and too dangerous for our nation. The Second Amendment must be repealed.

For more information on gun control, see the accompanying video.