La Serna’s Rockstars take the stage

Bella Gil, Editor-In-Chief

La Serna’s Rockstars take the stage in an introduction dance dressed as famous music artists. Photo by Bella Gil

Every year, La Serna’s pepsters crown one senior male student as La Serna’s Rockstar Show. This show consists of a talent competition, swimsuit competition, formal wear, a Q & A, and multiple dances performed by each contestant.

This year, 11 boys took the stage, competing for titles such as Sweetheart, Best Personality, Most Athletic, Einstein, and obviously, La Serna’s Rockstar.

The show started excitingly with a group dance, with each member dressed as a specific rockstar. Performers included Cade McCaffer as Bruno Mars, Christian Israelian as a long-haired Ozzie Osbourne, Kyle Asher as Elton John, and many more stars stealing the show. Dancing to “I Love Rock N’ Roll” by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts and  “Jailhouse Rock” by Elvis Presley, the boys captivated the audience right away.

After the introduction dance, each contestant was escorted by a senior member of La Serna’s very own cheer and song team. This portion of the competition, the swimsuit category, offered multiple fan-favorite themes ranging from Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy, to a duo posed as Baywatch.

Although the swimsuit portion swept the audience off their feet, the talent portion was the real show-stopper. Talents included dances, violin performances, a drum solo, a heartfelt- ukulele singer, and Caspar Carter singing “Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You” by Frankie Valli with a whole band following him.

The talent competition was followed by a Q&A portion where the contestants answered questions such as, but not limited to, “What is your favorite food?”, “If you could have one wish, what would it be?” and “What is one motto you live by?”

Finally, before crowning the 2018 Rockstar of La Serna, senior pepsters were introduced and walked down the runway escorted by their father or mother. Voting ensued,  and the winners of the competition were crowned. Taking Most Athletic was Emily Siepak, ASB member and Link Crew Leader, and Fonzie Ibanez, a track and football star. Sweetheart was given to senior pepster Mia Cairo and Ryan Bliss, a member of the soccer team for four years. Personality Plus was awarded to Audrey Gonzalez, Link Crew Leader and ASB member, and Cade McCaffer, a current varsity football and baseball player. Einstein was Owen Sneddon, a member of La Serna’s drumline who hopes to become a rocket-scientist and Caroline Lynk.

Emotions were high after these awards were present, and the entire audience was eager to learn the winner of La Serna’s Rockstar 2018. A panel of Whittier locals were presented as judges, and finally, the winner was announced. La Serna’s Rockstar 2018 was awarded to Kyle Asher, varsity senior volleyball player and a member of La Serna’s Sports Careers Academy. Kyle Asher wowed the judges with his singing and playing of the ukulele to Jack Johnson’s “Banana Pancakes” and his heartfelt answer in the Q&A Portion.

Senior Captain of the Song team, Jessica Vazquez said, “I think the show went really well. All of the boys worked so hard and I’m so proud of them for coming to every rehearsal and learning new dances and talents. I don’t think it could have gone any better!”

Going on its 11th year, La Serna’s Rockstars is one event students and parents seem to look forward to every year.

La Serna’s Rockstars take the stage