Murals Around La Serna Campus Bring Visual Enjoyment to Many

Kathryn Salazar, Contributor

Jayda Steele (junior) with her piece "Welcome Home" located at L102

As you walk around campus, you may have noticed the art created on 2 x 6 inch ceramic tiles in the brickwork at the end of buildings. These murals were started 2016 by art teacher Ms. Stephanie White. The art itself is done by various students in groups who have worked to create the murals as a project. The best ones are chosen for installation.

Ms. White said she was inspired to start the mural project when she noticed a bare, unappealing opening in the bricks next to her classroom door. “The only use [for the openings] had been for students was to store their food and trash.”  Mrs. White said,”It was not pretty.”

The placement of the mural  takes much thought and planning. This is because it is planned so that each mural is placed in an area where it would align with the theme of what is depicted in the artwork. For instance, “El Segundo Blue” (L105), which depicts butterflies, is next to the garden.

Other mural include “Homage to a Starry Night” (C200), “Welcome Home” (L102), and “Day of the Dead” (A100).

Ms. White said she cannot pick a favorite. “Oh no, that’s like picking your favorite child!” she said, in response to the question which is her favorite mural.

One of her worries about the murals is that they are hard to see sometimes. One such mural is “Albert Einstein” (O203), as it’s  in a location where not many people walk by. The mural “Bunny Explosion” at the cafeteria  is easily passed by and might go  unnoticed.

The murals themselves are what is known as a “relief.” In a relief, there are three different kinds which could either be carved in, two stacked on top of each other for a 3-D effect, or a simple basic relief which is the most common type seen around La Serna High.

To start the mural off, the group of students must chose a piece of art to gain inspiration from and make it with clay to specifically fit their relief. After that they must strategically figure out how they will break up the art to fit perfectly in the individual tiles to be sure to cut as little as possible of the mural. And most importantly, the finishing glaze must be perfect. If it is marred in the slightest way, it could  ruin the project entirely. Mrs. White explained about one unfortunate time poor glazing  occurred.”I had one last year that was absolutely stunning. It was beautiful. It was a dancer and she was doing this drape move and then they glazed her and she looked like she had been in the tanning bed way too long. It was bad.”