Fantastic Mr. Fox- a clever retelling of an old story

Kai Umeda, Movie Reviewer

Similar to  Isle of Dogs, director Wes Anderson’s Fantastic Mr. Fox exceeds expectations for people who love adventure.  It has humor, likeable characters played by great actors and it’s a genius retelling of a  Roald Dahl novel.

The plot of the story is really similar to the book.  Mr. Fox, played by George Clooney, loves stealing poultry from farmers to feed his family and for the fun of it.  One night, however, his wife, played by Meryl Streep, wants him to promise he won’t steal any more birds because it upsets the farmers.   But Mr. Fox’s nature gets the best of him and he steals from three nasty farmers named Boggis, Bunce, and Bean. These three get so furious they plan to kill him.  They don’t kill him, but they do successfully shoot his tail off. Mr. Fox, along with his friends and family go in hiding underground. Now he has to use his wits for good. It’s just a matter of time till the farmers get him or he saves everyone.

The acting in this is beyond pitch perfect.  Sometimes I forgot that I was watching walking talking animals and I thought I was watching actual people.  With the circumstances they’re in, it feels similar to life in general. There are no easy right and wrong decisions.  The characters all have to take risks that are a gamble. Either they live or die. You can also understand both sides of Mr. Fox and the farmers: his stealing their poultry because he has to feed his family and  the farmers trying to get him because the poultry he steals is their way of making money and it could be bad for them if it keeps going on. It’s an eye for an eye situation. Another element that stands out is Wes Anderson’s clever use of  comedy. Instead of saying regular curse words, they use the word “ cuss” every time they feel like saying foul language. That’s geniously funny.

The setting is also a major element.  The movie looks like it could take place anywhere.  Most of the humans speak with English accents, and all the animals speak English but with an American dialect,  which in my opinion was kind of weird. Also there were a lot of knew characters added that weren’t in the original story.

For what it is, I think Fantastic Mr. Fox is colorful, humorous, charming, and worth your while.

• Fantastic Mr. Fox- a clever retelling of an old story

News

Club Rush 2018 Shows Increase in Number of Campus Clubs

News

Missing La Serna Theater’s production of Shakespeare’s “King Lear” under the stars would be a bloody tragedy!

News

Lancer cheerleaders take 3rd in national competition

• Features

Distinguished DeSimone values the power of reading

Features

The La Serna Shakespeare Festival

News

Art students hold viewing show

Features

Students argue their views

Features

Art class enters to win $50,000 for La Serna art program

News

Ogle app causes controversy on campus

News

La Serna greets the ASB cabinet winners for the upcoming year