La Serna Increases School Security

Destiny Vera, Contributor

La Serna High School has stepped up security since last school year. The administrators have closed many gates and now students have to enter and exit from the front gate or parking lot gate that are supervised by members of the security team. This year, authorities and staff members are making sure that students wear their student I.D. cards at all times during school.

The school shooting threat that was made at El Camino High School in Whittier in February, 2018, could be the possible cause for the increase in security. That threat was made two days after the school shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. At El Camino High school, a security guard overheard a 17-year-old student, saying he had weapons at home. The student did not have any weapons on him, but precautions were taken based on his statement.

La Serna administrators are increasing and improving security to make sure that the students are safe. Last month, the entire school participated in a lock-down drill with teachers giving specific directions to students on how to best protect themselves in the case of an active shooter.

Destiny Vera, Contributor

Destiny Vera is a freshman who is a part of the Puente program. She enjoys hanging out with her friends, watching Netflix, and listening to music. She...

La Serna Increases School Security