Rave Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Savanna Piette, Editor-in-Chief

In my seventeen years of being alive I have never come across a novel that has affected me quite like Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. This book is about a girl who is writing a book about a book. I know that sounds crazy and it is. The author allows craziness to take a prevalent role in this novel. Anyone who reads this novel will be able to relate to the characters; they can feel close to these characters and step into their shoes. Authors who can write stories like this needs to be watched for, as they only come along once in a blue moon.

Fangirl  is a new take on the classic college coming-of-age tale. This novel allows the reader to experience the thoughts of a college freshman, Cath. She is taking on her college experience without her twin sister, Wren, with whom she has done everything since the day they were born. She has so many new experiences such as college boys, college friends, college classes, and college food. The new experiences and people create a strange new environment for Cath, which lets the reader have the same strange and scary thoughts. This book allows the reader to dive into the writing and experience college life through Cath’s eyes.

Cath’s life may be changing forever due to this new found freedom and independence.

Sav’s synopsis: This is my all time favorite book. I am physically unable to put it down. I have read this novel countless time. I feel as though I have conformed my life around it now, relating each passage to a personal memory of mine. Going into college, I believe I will still be reading this book and relating it into my new experiences.