Money Doesn’t Make The World Go Round

Joyce Lee

“Money makes the world go round.” This was the first thing our guest speaker said in my economics class. The professor had managed to get a CEO of some random company to speak to us on money and what it can do. “Everything has a price,” he said, “Anything can be bought, even happiness,” he continued. “[Even] perfection can be bought.” This is where I started to lose this guy. I didn’t believe money had any such power, I knew perfection was just a dream/ unattainable. I knew happiness was not something to be bought with money or gold, but, I knew if I wanted to do well, I would have to stay quiet and listen. He talked and talked and finally ended with this: “All that really matters in this world is personal satisfaction, and that’s exactly what money can do for you.” The whole class erupted with applause except for me. I felt I was the only person in that room who held the true value of happiness and satisfaction. I felt I was the only one who knew money should be merely a servant and not a master.

To be honest even though this scenario didn’t directly happen to me, this story encompasses how I see the world changing. When I look at the world, I see people not wanting to care, not wanting to invest in friendships. I see more people focused on their own individual success just for money. I see so many people choosing careers just based on income. I see people giving up dreams just to have more money in the future.

In a New York Post article, “Many millennials believe money will buy them happiness,” the writer reported, “One in every 10 people ages 20-36 [said] money brings happiness…boomers who say this (6 percent), and male millennials (13 percent) are significantly more like to answer ‘money’ than females.”

This data only proves my point more; people are continually believing money will give them happiness more than family, helping others, spending time with friends, and love.  However, many studies show how more money doesn’t equal more happiness. One study by the Washington Post even shows how Chinese people’s happiness levels have dropped as many of them have become wealthier and wealthier.

In the end money cannot buy happiness. Don’t get me wrong, I love money too, but money should not control people’s lives. We should use money to help others and ourselves. Many studies show helping others, being part of a community, and loving those around you can increase happiness. Money is useful, but it shouldn’t be the main focus of our lives. When money becomes our focus, our perception of the world changes, and it’s indescribable. I believe people should focus on their goals and passions, and let money take a backseat.

Money Doesn’t Make The World Go Round