What has Caused a Decline in Student Drivers?

Joyce Lee, Contributor

The 2018-2019 school year has seen a decline in students. According to La Serna’s Registrar Martha Vasquez,  this school’s enrollment has dropped significantly; in 2015-2016 there was 691 seniors, in 2016-2017,  628 seniors were enrolled, in 2017-2018, 701 Seniors were enrolled, and for the current school year, 2018-2019, La Serna has 608 Seniors. As enrollment has decreased, there has been more parking spaces available. However, the availability of spaces may also be due to another fact: more students are delaying getting their driver licenses.

I interviewed dozens of  seniors recently.  Nine out of 10 seniors said they could drive, or at least had a license. Many had a license but did not have their own car, but many seniors do enjoy the freedom that comes with a driver’s license.  Every 9 out of 10 seniors said they could drive or at least had a license. Many had a license but did not have their own car, and many seniors do enjoy the freedom that comes with a drivers license.

One Lancer did want to drive but did not see the benefits of getting a license immediately. He said he can see himself driving in the future and does plan to, however,  he doesn’t see any benefit because he won’t even be able to drive right away and won’t have a car. This made a lot of sense; however, it is a fact that having insurance without any accidents for several years can decrease the price of insurance. One  student said, “I know insurance would be lower, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be a good driver and not get into any accidents.” 

Some students were  confident in their driving skills and don’t really see insurance as a problem.  They won’t be driving as a student minor, but said they will be driving as  young adults. Another senior interviewed, who wished to remain anonymous, said they really love driving; this Lancer loves the ability to go wherever they want and just drive and says driving is a way to relieve stress and to relax.  

Senior Gabriel Ramirez is able to drive, has a license and access to a car; however, he expressed how much he hated driving. “I hate it but I need  to get around. I like riding in cars, but I hate the responsibility of navigating a giant steel ball at 40 m.p.h. I usually bus. You can go anywhere by bus.”  Ramirez said he only takes his car when his destination is either too far or takes too long.

Gabriel Ramirez- 12th grade