College Corner Hosts Two-Day Northern California Field Trip

Ariana Perez, Contributor

The La Serna High School College Corner hosted a two-day trip in February on Monday 18 and Tuesday 19 and with visits to UC Merced, CSU Monterey, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, and UC Santa Barbara. Forty-six students, grades 9-12, spent the day touring campuses, visiting bookstores, and exploring Monterrey’s Old Wharf. However, due to dangerous weather and icy roads, the group did not get a chance to tour UC Merced and did not travel up along the Grapevine (the I-5), but rather traveled on the 101 getting views of the coast.

The group left La Serna at 6:00 am and traveled north for several hours before arriving at CSU Monterey. There they took a tour of the campus and  visited the student store. The group spent time at the Old Wharf in Monterrey and had the chance to savor clam chowder and other seafood.

On Tuesday, the students toured SLO and explored the campus in small groups. At lunch, one student was even mistaken as a college student. The Lancers then loaded the bus and drove two hours south to UCSB. There the students listened to a presentation by an admissions officer and asked questions. Breaking into three small groups, the students received a campus tour from a UCSB student. Overall, students said the trip was enjoyable and a success.