Track Begins New Season with La Mirada Meet

Isabella Vazquez, Contributor

The month of February marks the beginning of the La Serna Track and Field season. Athletes have been training since early winter prior to the La Mirada Tri-Meet. The meet was held by La Mirada at La Mirada High School on Thursday, February 21. Entries only included athletes from La Serna and La Mirada. Sunny Hills did not participate. 

Image result for la mirada high school logoAthletes and staff alike were hit with painfully cold weather with the temperature hitting as low as 40 degrees Fahrenheit. The meet was postponed as it began to rain, and thunder and lightning were reported to hit the area. Despite the poor weather both La Mirada High and La Serna High continued to compete

Track and Field Coach Joe Orr stated, “All things considered I think it was a successful meet. The meet was really a tune up for the season and we were able to perform well. Despite the crazy weather, it was a good day.”

La Serna athletes were successful in taking the top spots in the girls’ long jump. In the end, the men and women varsity team faced a loss to La Mirada. La Serna dominated the events for the frosh/soph teams, both men’s and women’s. 

Isabella Vazquez, Contributor

Isabella Vazquez is currently a junior beginning her first year in the La Serna Freelancer. She hopes to major in the political science field and journalism...