Theatre department aims to entertain with cabaret

Thomas Bailleul, The Freelancer

Jessica Carlile and Caspar Carter rehearse for their cabaret performance on Friday.

Thomas Bailleul, Staff Writer

La Serna’s Theatre Department will present a cabaret featuring its Shrek the Musical cast Friday at 7:30 p.m. Tickets will be $5 for students and $10 for adults. Proceeds will help fund the spring musical, which opens next month. There will be refreshments and raffles in addition to the performances which will take place in the cafeteria.

“I’m excited, and I can’t wait for everyone to see what we can do,” said Daniel Anaya, a senior performer who will be one of the two actors portraying Shrek in the musical. La Serna’s cabarets are known to display a professionalism rare in young high school performers. What is very unique about the cabaret is the fact that students get freely express themselves however they wish by choosing their acts. “I enjoy the cabaret because we can choose what we want to perform,” said Garett Witzl as he prepared for rehearsal.

The event will without a doubt entertain all who attend, and tickets will most likely go fast. The acts are usually fairly short and involve singing, dancing, acting, or combinations of the three. Although Boys Soccer will be playing their first round of CIF on Friday, the game begins at 3:00 p.m. and will end well before the cabaret begins. All students and staff are encouraged to attend the performance and support the theatre program.