Latest gadgets in the classroom help teachers and students

Haley Lomas, Staff Writer

As technology advances, more and more teachers are finding ways to utilize these new and interesting devices to help students, as well as themselves, in the classroom.

A LabQuest device.
Haley Lomas, The Freelancer
A LabQuest device.

Some of the technology used can help with in-class learning and collecting data. For example, Physics teacher Todd Boschman has his students use Lab Quest devices to help them with labs. Lab Quest is a device that can measure temperature, force, velocity, and much more. These devices allow students to collect data quickly and store it so they can come back to it the next day.

“What it does is it allows you to collect data quicker, and it allows you to analyze the data. In other words, it will make a graph for you and you can spend time looking at data trends; you can look at different patterns,” Boschman said. This can help students obtain a better understanding of what they are learning.

Other technology can be used to help students study, such as the online flashcard system, Quizlet. “It allows students to practice vocabulary and learn diagrams,” Anatomy teacher Stacy Jackson said. This technology can be helpful to students because “they can access it with their phones, and when they’re not at home, they could be reviewing,” said Jackson.

“It’s helpful because when you use it on your phone, you can do it at any time, and it’s really simple to use,” said junior Anna Springer.

The color chart for the On Core app.
Haley Lomas, The Freelancer
The color chart for the On Core app.

Aside from helping students, technology can be used to help teachers in class. On Core is the app English teacher Eric Twisselmann uses to help him “track the quality of interaction with students in real time.” This app can be used to randomly generate a student for the teacher to call on, which helps make sure every student gets a chance to answer a question. The app also allows teachers to immediately rate a student’s response through a color coded system.

“It’s helped me in assigning participation. Assigning a participation grade is sometimes a little subjective, but this lends more objectivity to it,” said Twisselmann.

Students and teachers alike can benefit from the new and interesting technology made for the classroom.