College trip exposes students to life after high school

La Serna students at San Diego State University.

Ashley Lord, The Freelancer

Ashley Lord, Staff Writer

On February 8 and 9, thirty-nine La Serna students and four chaperones traveled by bus from La Serna to San Diego and San Marcos to visit four colleges.

The group visited University of California, San Marcos and the University of San Diego on Sunday. Both campuses were mostly empty as classes were not in session, and students were given tours by La Serna alumni who graduated in 2014. After visiting both campuses, the Lancers traveled to Old Town San Diego for dinner at the Old Town Mexican Cafe. Students walked around Old Town for souvenir shopping, then returned to the Comfort Inn & Suites for the night.

Monday, the students traveled to visit the University of California, San Diego and San Diego State University. Students were given official tours by tour guides who were students at the schools.

Although this special event was open to all students, the recent trip consisted of mostly juniors with a just a few sophomores and seniors. Yvonne Torres-Hess, who works in the Curriculum office, said that the purpose of the field trip was “to expose more students to college campuses” and “to make sure students have the opportunity [to visit colleges] if they can’t travel on their own or with their parents. We can at least schedule different trips throughout the year.”

Most students found the trip helpful, including Junior Raeann Iler. “I thought it was a really good experience because I was actually able to look at colleges which I’ve never seen before,” she said. According to students like junior Anna Springer, some fears were alleviated because they saw how nice the people were.