WUHSD receives $2.5 million from LCAP

Alexis Covarrubias, The Freelancer

Students get their after-school snack, paid for with LCAP funds.

Dylan Martinez and Alexis Covarrubias

La Serna High School just got wealthier. In fact, Whittier Union High School District as a whole received approximately $2.5 million as a result of LCFF, or Local Control Funding Formula, a new finance model designed to more accurately fund California schools based on their demographic composition. The LCAP, Local Control and Accountability Plan, is developed by singular districts around the state and decides in what ways the money will be distributed to schools.

“Four evening meetings were held last year . . . with representatives from each school within the district. District and school administrators were also present to gather information to take back to their schools and share,” said Kristen Kooiman, assistant principal in charge of La Serna’s curriculum.

La Serna was allocated roughly $300,000 for site expenditures. Notably, La Serna has the lowest number of targeted students (students on free/reduced lunch, English-Learners, etc.) at only 43% of its total population, consequently receiving a smaller amount of funding in comparison to other schools in the district that house more targeted students. “There are certain portions of LCAP that are consistent throughout the district and these are covered through district LCAP funds, rather than our site allocated amount,” Kooiman said. These included reduced class sizes, summer school interns, an LCAP counselor, Educational Technology leads, late buses, and a Student Well Being Coordinator.

On campus, two ASB officials have become experts on LCAP by collaborating with the district. Lauren Blackburn, senior and Special Events Coordinator, is ecstatic about all the new technology and staff that will encourage more students to apply for college and scholarships. Aaron Gonzalez, junior and Board of Trustees Rep/Site Council Rep, participates in board meetings and brings his findings back to campus for Student Senate meetings. “LCAP is being implemented all around school through tutoring for at-risk freshmen, dinner for students and any general maintenance,” said Gonzalez on the current progress of LCAP. Many students are still unaware of the developments of LCAP, but they are beginning to know its basics as a result of the Student Senate meetings that are conducted once a month to update Lancers on school affairs. Although LCAP is still in its developmental stages, it has the potential to completely revamp and improve the campus.