It feels like teen stress

Bridget McDonough struggles to complete her homework in the College Corner.

Thomas Bailleul, The Freelancer

Victoria Pedrosa, Staff Writer

Everyone experiences stress, its inevitable. No one is immune to it, especially the average teenager. Students are expected to juggle school work, extra curricular activities, and a social life all in an effort to maintain sanity. Sometimes when the workload becomes unbearable, students start to question if they will be able to survive the week. Although stress is a part of everyday life here are some tips and suggestions that could make life a little more sufferable.

1. Get Organized

Everyone knows teens aren’t the neatest of humans, but simply writing down assignments in a planner or organizing your studying desk so it doesn’t seem like a tornado blew through it, can make all the difference. If you can’t find what your looking for, how do you expect to get things done?

2. Don’t Procrastinate

If you were to ask the average high school student if they procrastinate on a daily basis and they reply “no, they’re stretching the truth. Procrastination plays a key role in the sensation of stress. Not having control of a situation because you left it until the last minute is one of the worst feelings. Put away your smartphone and shut down Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Vine, or any other social media outlets that might distract you from getting your work done. The sooner you prioritize and get your schoolwork completed the sooner you can breathe again. 

3. Sleep

Feeling like a zombie from “The Walking Dead” during a test because you pulled an all-nighter trying to cram for that same exact test is not the way to go. Studies show students need a minimum of 7-8 hours of sleep to be fully functional and alert at school. Sleep more instead if cramming and you will be less stressed and likely get better grades.

4. Study Earlier

“If I had to pick one thing that stresses me out the most in school, it would probably be tests,” junior Natalie Ayala said.  Believe it or not, waiting to study for a test the night before the test may actually result in a lower grade than if you started preparing and studying earlier. Plan a studying schedule and study at least an hour a day starting a week before you actually have to take the test. You’ll feel so much better that you did when you receive your test back with an A on it.

5. Over-scheduling

Even if teens think they can take on the world, sometimes they can’t. Trying to balance AP classes, being the president of a club, varsity football practice, and school newspaper can be nightmare to handle. Instead of trying to conquer every activity you engage in, maybe just conquer what you can handle. You can’t expect to do everything with your best effort if you only have 24 hours in day. Prioritize what is important and what isn’t. You’ll be able to spend the extra free time tackling your significant activities.

6. Do What Makes You Happy

High School students are becoming more and more stressed out as years pass. They are being pressured to think about their life goals and “what’s next” so much they are forgetting how to be teenagers. Do things that make you happy. Don’t give up painting just because there is “not enough time” for it. It’s important to be passionate about things other than school work.

7. Just Breathe

When school is stressing you out beyond the brink of sanity, just breathe! Maybe you won’t get into the school of your dreams, or become president of the school student body, or even get an A this semester, but it’s OKAY. Life will go on, the world will not end. As long as you are the best version of you, everything will be okay. Don’t worry about things that are out of your control. Sometimes life will knock you down but you have to just get back up and keep on going.

Think Positive. You’ve got this!