True Life: I’m an AP student

Lauren Fine, The Freelancer

Ksenia Verches crams for her AP Psychology test.

Lauren Fine, Opinion and Photo Editor

May, the month dreaded by advanced placement students, is the month of AP exams, a test that could potentially give students future college credit.

Junior Ksenia Verches goes above and beyond everyday to challenge and prepare herself for college. She is usually found with her head in a book, doing her homework, or cramming for her next test. This is all what makes her the perfect student to interview about such difficult classes and balancing her time correctly.

How many AP/honors classes are you currently enrolled in?
I’m in four APs and one honors. AP Psychology, AP Biology, AP English, AP U.S History, and Honors Algebra 2. 

What inspired you to take on so many advanced classes?
I thought I could do it and I thought it would look good for college. They also seemed very interesting.

What would you say the biggest difference is between college prep and advanced placement classes?

The work load and the amount that you are expected to learn on your own. It’s just a huge difference because with AP you have to do a lot of work on your own to figure stuff out.

The AP exams are taking place in a month and a half. How does that make you feel?
Stressed … so stressed! There’s a lot to learn and in some ways I’m ready and in some ways I’m not. 

Do you have any certain study techniques?
Try not to fall asleep. I just need to be relaxed and listen to soft music. Just focus. 

Do you have any tips for future AP students/students interested in taking advanced placement courses?
Make sure you have enough time to study and just know that you can do the amount of work that you are given because it is a lot. But if you think you can do it, then do it. It’s a good experience.