Q&A with top junior Lindsay Canavan

Emily Shintani, The Freelancer

La Serna junior Lindsey Canavan.

Emily Shintani, Editor-in-Chief

La Serna junior Lindsey Canavan, through months of hard work and dedication, is the proud holder of the coveted Top of the Class title. Aspiring valedictorian, Canavan has the highest weighted GPA in the Junior class, which is the scale used to find the top-ranked student. Canavan fills her schedule with only the hardest classes, such as AP Chemistry and BC Calculus, and excels at them; nothing but straight A’s are good enough for her.

In a quick interview, Canavan shared some details about her daily life and personality.

What is your favorite color?

“Any kind of pretty purple, like lavender.”

What is your favorite food?

“That’s hard…I just love food. Any food. I’m a food person.”

Briefly, what is your plan for the future?

“I want to start off as an investment banker or financial analyst. When I retire from that, I’ll go into global finance, or a financial manager, for the NBA.”

What is your dream college?

“My dream school is UPenn (University of Pennsylvania), but Duke, Harvard, and the University of Chicago are pretty awesome.”

Do you have any siblings?

“I have a younger brother who is a freshman at La Serna.”

What do your parents do?

“My dad is the Director of Technology for Disney and my mom is the first Vice President for the First General Bank and is a chief credit administrator.”

What is a Day-in-a-Life of Lindsey Canavan?

“Well, I wake up at 6:30 a.m. Then I drive to school in my little, cute Mini Cooper, that I love so much, with my brother. I take my usual classes during the day and mentor during tutorial. Then I have track practice after school. It starts at 2:00 p.m. and usually runs to 4:00 p.m. Some days I get out earlier; it depends on which coach I’m with. After practice, I drive 10-15 minutes to get home; sometimes I have to take my brother to [basketball] practice, depending on his schedule. When I get home, I do homework for maybe two and a half hours. As soon as I’m done, I just relax until I go to bed.

What are your favorite TV shows/movies to watch on Netflix?

“Parks & Recreation, Grey’s Anatomy, and Supernatural. I love Supernatural; Dean is super sexy.”

Do you have any hobbies?

“I don’t really have time for hobbies, but I read and love photography.”

What types of music do you listen to?

“Indie/alternative.”

Who is your favorite music artist?

“Alt-J.”

Any celebrity crushes?

“There are too many to count! I love Logan Lerman, Joseph Gorgan Levitt, and Erik Durm a lot though.”

What are your favorite movies?

“I love 50 First Dates, Fury, and Guardians of the Galaxy. Chris Pratt is sexy.”

What are your study strategies?

“I don’t really study, but I look at my notes the day before the test.”

Do you get any support from your family?

“I’m pretty independent. I drive myself–both literally and figuratively. ”

What extra-curricular activities do you have?

“I’m in Key Club, Entourage (backstage worker), Track and Field (long, high, and triple jump), German Honors Club, and Link Crew as a Link Leader/mentor. I’m the coach’s assistant for Boys’ Frosh/JV Basketball.”

Last question, what are your favorite books?

“That’s hard; I like a lot of books. I guess if I had to pick, it would be 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez and all of the Harry Potter books.”